Monday, November 5, 2012

DIY: flannel knot blanket!

My husband has been obsessed with my COLTS blanket, and has been begging me to make him one too! These blankets are SO easy and cheap to make, and are a great gift idea for the upcoming holiday season!  So I thought it would be fun to show how easy it is to make one of these for yourself or for that special someone.  


Even though the Colts are obviously the best NFL team, I made this Jets one for my husband.  (Go COLTS!)


What you'll need:
Scissors: Fabric scissors work best
2 yards of a flannel top fabric (Jets Fabric)
2 yards of flannel bottom fabric (Dark Green Fabric)
*I used an NFL theme, but ideas for these blankets are endless! Check out online fabric stores, JoAnns, or any local fabric store to find tons of flannel options!

Step One: Lay out both fabric layers

First, lay out the bottom fabric, make sure to smooth out any wrinkles. Next lay out your top layer of fabric directly on top of your bottom layer.  Make sure that you have placed them evenly on top of each other, and smoothed out any wrinkles.


Step Two: Cut any excess fabric along the edges (skip this step if your fabrics line up evenly)

 Step Three: Measure 4x4 squares on each corner of your blanket. 

ignore my chipped nail polish :)
tip: make a small cut to mark where your 4x4 square is.


 Step Four: Cut your 4x4 squares







Step Five: Cut Fringes

 

Starting from one of your corners, cut fringes around the entire blanket.  I did about 1.25 inches for the width, for each individual fringe.  Honestly this does not have to be perfect, and you can play around with the width if you would like thicker fringes.  Just make sure you cut about 4 inches up (match the height of your cut out square).

Step Six: Tie Fringes


Tie each individual fringe together.  I double knot each of my fringes, just be careful to not tie your knots TOO tight. 

Step Seven: YAY enjoy your warm blanket!








No comments:

Post a Comment